The 2017 Katoke Annual Benefit Dinner was a fantastic celebration of the many amazing achievements of the Katoke Trust over the last 20 years. We watched a video of Alan Watson, the President of the Trust, reflecting on the achievements of the Trust and our 280 guests helped us raise over $42,000, by purchasing birthday gifts for Katoke!
Keynote speaker Rowena Bragg spoke about her time at Katoke from 2013 until 2017. Rowena Bragg served as the Deputy Principal of Katoke-Lweru Secondary School (KLSS) from 2013-2015, and Principal from 2015-2017. Before leaving for Katoke in June 2013, Rowena was a teacher of English and History in various schools across Sydney, including St Paul’s Grammar, Cranebrook where she served as the Deputy Head of the Senior School. Rowena and her husband, Peter, were well acquainted with East Africa and the Congo and have been committed to serving God and the students of KLSS for many years.
Rowena shared with us videos, pictures and stories of her time at Katoke and inspired us with her excitement for watching the students at KLSS grow and thrive.
The 2017 Guests of Honour included
- The Honorable Mark Speakman, NSW Attorney General formally opened the event. During 2017 Mark has become the Patron for the Katoke Trust. We also hosted his wife, Caroline.
- Mr Matthew Neuhaus, DFAT Assistant Secretary for Africa, his wife, Angela and his mother Yvonne Newmarch.
- Rowena and Peter Bragg who ran the school from 2013 until 2017
- Sid and Marilyn Moir, the previous heads of school
- Sid and Marilyn’s daughter Anna. Anna returned to Australia recently after a huge SEVEN years of service at the Katoke Secondary School. This makes Anna the longest serving Australian living in the Katoke school community! The Katoke Trust is extremely grateful to the Tradies for their longstanding commitment and support for our Annual Benefit Dinner. They have graciously hosted our dinner event for 20 years!We would also like to give special mentions for those supporters who donated auction items to the event:
- Putt Planet, Miranda
- Sunrise Nursery, Helensburgh
- Legalwise Seminars
- Art & Mirror Framing, Caringbah
- TVM Fitness
- Optimum Health Solutions
- Unbutton Handmade
- Physical Reality
- Tony Rea
- Heartwork Personal Training
- Next Door Cronulla
- Snap Fitness Cronulla
- Jake Chalmers
- Eventhouse Cronulla
- Sentier Home & Clothing Cronulla
- Hair de Paris
- Wollongong Surf Leisure Resort
- Dr Frank Reed
- Angela and Paul Bailey
- Suzanne Campbell
- Ron & Bronwyn Balderston
- Phil Reed
- Jan Lee
- Lyn Butcher & Meri Cusworth
The 2018 dinner is booked for Friday, 2 November 2018 at Tradies, Gymea, 6.30pm. Click HERE to book your tickets.
We hope to see you there!